Getting here and advice about your stay

Entry requirements


If you are a UK passport holder you do not require a visa to enter Hong Kong, and you can stay for up to 90 days. Your passport will need to be valid for at least one month after the date of your departure from Hong Kong.


If you wish to work or study in Hong Kong, or stay for longer than six months, you will need a visa. For more information see the Hong Kong Immigration Department site at: or visit them at: Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong; telephone: 2824 4055.

Visits to Mainland China

Visas for Mainland China are not available for British passport holders at the border, so if you are travelling to Mainland China from Hong Kong you will need to get a Chinese visa beforehand.

If you are coming to Hong Kong from Mainland China, and returning to Mainland China you will need a double or multiple entry Chinese visa.

UK Emergency Travel Documents

UK Emergency Travel Documents (ETDs) are accepted for entry, airside transit and exit from Hong Kong and Macau.

[Source – Foreign Travel Advice: Hong Kong,]


Safety and security

Natural disasters

Local warnings are issued in advance of typhoons, which can occur in Hong Kong and Macau between April and October, and can cause flooding and landslides. Public offices shut down when the ‘Typhoon 8’ signal is hoisted.

Local weather updates can be monitored from the Hong Kong Observatory at:, and the UK Government has guidance at: on what to do if you are caught up in a tropical cyclone.


The level of violent crime in Hong Kong is very low. However, as in any busy city you should take extra care of your passport, credit cards and money in crowded areas and when checking in and out of hotels, and be aware of pickpockets.

Take care to stay in licensed accommodation when visiting Macau, as there are fines if you stay in illegal accommodation. Visit the Macao Government Tourist Information website at: for further details.

The Macau authorities consider the Uber taxi service to be illegal. Drivers and passengers of any unlicensed taxi services can face fines.

For emergencies, the Police can be contacted by calling 999. In Macau the Tourism Crisis Management Office (853) 2833 3000 (24 hour hotline) is able to provide general assistance in English, Cantonese, Putonghua and Portuguese.


Hong Kong is a stable society underpinned by the rule of law. Demonstrations are usually peaceful and orderly, but it is advisable to avoid areas where protests and unplanned public gatherings are taking place if possible.


There is a low threat of terrorism in Hong Kong. However, as in any city you should be aware of the potential risk of indiscriminate terrorist attacks in public areas.

[Source – Foreign Travel Advice: Hong Kong, Foreign Travel Advice: Macau,]



You should visit your GP or health provider a minimum of eight weeks prior to travelling to Hong Kong and Macau, to assess any health risks specific to you or the country itself, and this will allow time for any necessary vaccinations.

There is a risk of dengue virus transmission in Hong Kong and Macau. For information and advice about the risks associated with dengue fever visit the Hong Kong-specific pages of the TravelHealthPro website at: and for Macau at:

You can also receive useful information, advice and guidance from the NHS via the FitForTravel website at: or the NHS Choices website at:

Some medicines prescribed or purchased in the UK can be of an alternative legal status and regulations surrounding their usage may vary in other countries. If it is necessary for you to travel with either prescription or over-the-counter medication you should consult the National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC) or TravelHealthPro at:

Be aware that you may undergo temperature screening at borders. Depending on the results, further medical examinations may be required.

If you need emergency medical assistance in Hong Kong or Macau, dial 999 and ask for an ambulance, and contact your insurance company promptly if you are referred to a medical facility for treatment.

FCO foreign travel advice

If you are travelling to Hong Kong for business, the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) website has travel advice to help you prepare for your visit overseas and to stay safe and secure while you are there.

For up-to-the-minute advice please visit the Foreign Travel section pages on the website: and:

Travel insurance

Make sure you have comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel, as well as accessible funds to cover the cost of any medical treatment abroad and repatriation. The cost of medical treatment in Hong Kong is high.

[Source – Foreign Travel Advice: Hong Kong,]


comments powered by Disqus

Contact Form